Sprache lernen


There are general courses but also special courses for young people or parents. There is generally a charge for attending a language or integration course. If you do not have a fixed income, you can apply to the Job Centre to attend a course free of charge.

However, some adult education centres also offer general German courses.


Language learning apps

You can also use these to learn online but remember that all these offers cannot replace a language course.



When do I have to attend an integration course?

You are obliged to attend an integration course if you

  • have a right to do so and cannot yet communicate orally in German at a low proficiency level.
    The certificate/obligation is determined by the aliens’/foreigners’ registration office. This happens when the first residence permit is issued.
  • have already been living in Germany for a long time and need special support with integration.
  • receive benefits under SBG II and there is an integration agreement.

Further information and application forms can be found at the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF).