When you move into a municipality for the first time, you need to register at the town hall’s registration office within two weeks of moving in. You will need the following documents for this:

  • Identity card or passport
  • Passports/identity cards of family members – for children who do not have a child passport, you will need to present their birth certificate.
  • Certificate of the landlord/accommodation provider

Third-country nationals must also report in person to the aliens’/foreigners’ registration office of the District Administration after their arrival in Germany.

Landratsamt Waldshut (Waldshut District Administration)
Kaiserstr. 110
79761 Waldshut-Tiengen

Please note:
The town of Waldshut-Tiengen is responsible for asylum and immigration matters for citizens who live in the town area of the “Große Kreisstadt” (major district town) of Waldshut-Tiengen (including districts).

Ausländerbehörde (Foreigners Authority)
Wallstraße 26-28
79761 Waldshut-Tiengen
Tel.: 07751 833-338

Please click here to find a contact person and make an appointment.



If you change your place of residence or move to another apartment in the same place of residence, you must re-register within two weeks of your move. You can do this at the town hall’s registration office in your new place of residence.



You only need to de-register if you give up a secondary residence or move abroad.


Asylum and Aliens Law

For questions regarding residence permits, work permits, naturalisation, etc., please contact the Office for Public Order and Foreigners’ Affairs at the District Administration. You can find the relevant contact person here.
You can also obtain help and information on any matters or concerns relating to the law on aliens and/or asylum:


Bank Account

When you open a bank account in Germany, you will normally be asked for your tax identification number. This will be sent to you by the Federal Central Tax Office shortly after you have registered at your place of residence.

You need to keep this document very carefully because your personal number will be required for all financial matters (taxes, income) until the end of your life. Banks and tax offices can use this number to identify you.
Children are also provided with such a number even if they only need it later.

You can decide for yourself where you want to open a bank account.


Further information in several languages